Best foundation for a heavy shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Im getting a high security heavy duty shed for the back garden. The instructions say to fit it on a level base 3.1m x 2.5m x minimum 50mm thick.

The shed weighs almost half a ton without the contents.

In the garden where i want it to be built, there is top soil around 25cm deep, and then an old concrete slab 10cm thick (not sure if it has any rebar).

What would be the best way to build a foundation for the shed? Ive considered the following:

Hardcore and then slabs - wondering if this will be robust enough?

Pure concrete slab with rebar on top of the current one - thinking this is a bit of an overkill, costly, and heavy.

Hardcore with concrete slab on top of the current concrete slab - is it ok to put hardcore on top of concrete? Will it compress?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you not remove the 250mm soil from the top of the existing slab and use that?

Can you not remove the 250mm soil from the top of the existing slab and use that?
It will be below ground level then, this is how my garage is built (the current concrete slab is what the garage is built on, i want the new shed behind the garage) and it floods every time we have heavy rain. I cant keep anything valuable in there.

Easiest way would be to lay a course of blocks and backfill with hardcore and concrete. If you are using that as the floor incorporate a Dpm.

Sponsored Links
The shed weighs almost half a ton without the contents.
Not particularly heavy, spread over solid bedded slabs. My shed (below) is clad in Cedral boards at 11.2 kg's per board. That's 470 kilos just for the Cedral boards. Then there's the windows, doors, timber, roof, internal ply boards, floor, fixings, gutter fascia etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back