Base for driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be doing my driveway in a couple of weeks so want to get some advive. Firstly a car will be going on it and i will be using 50mm 2ft x 2ft flags. I have read you need a 100mm sub base (type 1) then 50mm sharp sand whacked then lay flag. Few questions

1) Is 100mm Type one needed or could I use 50mm then a wet mix of
screed mortor ?

2) There is houses getting built by mine and they are in the process of doing the drivewasy and they have ust used shingle or limestone as a base and thats it? There are the builders what have built a full estate of houses, is this a better and easier way, if so what is the price difference between type 1 and limestone ?

3) What is the best way to get your levels of sub base and sand on sloping drive, How would I do this with thimber if not putting any borders in just flags ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The 100mm of MOT is not a fixed depth, if there's soft ground this will need to be replaced by hardcore if the driveway is to last.

Forget laying the flags on sand. It will be eroded by water eventually, bed on them on mortar.

The limestone on the new houses sounds like MOT?

To get the levels stretch a line from the pavement to the top off the driveway (at the desired finished height) then your MOT should be layed 75mm below this: 50-flag & 25-mortar (allowing 15-20mm for the stone to be compacted with a wacker plate)

The 100mm of MOT is not a fixed depth, if there's soft ground this will need to be replaced by hardcore if the driveway is to last.

Forget laying the flags on sand. It will be eroded by water eventually, bed on them on mortar.

The limestone on the new houses sounds like MOT?

To get the levels stretch a line from the pavement to the top off the driveway (at the desired finished height) then your MOT should be layed 75mm below this: 50-flag & 25-mortar (allowing 15-20mm for the stone to be compacted with a wacker plate)

So 75mm of Mot compacted is about right not 100mm ?

Sponsored Links
No. The 75mm is the depth from the top of the hardcore to the finished driveway height. 50mm for the flag & 25 for the mortar bed.

Also I am looking for how much MOT type 1 I need but am getting very different amount. for E.G

30m 2 at a depth of 50mm on here is 3 tonne.

http://www.banburygardenservices.co.uk/calculators/sub_base_cal.htm

BuT it says here that 1 Tonne does 30m2 at a depth of 50mm.

http://www.watmoresturf.co.uk/orderlocal/sandbuilding/crusher.html

Any info what is correct ?

I need 25m2, just using 30m2 as e.g to compare as it uses 30m2 on the size.

If I need 25m2 at a depth of 100mm, how much will I need to order?

Sorry about double post, was ment t click edit and clicked quote :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back