advice on driveway foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started to change the shape off my driveway to fit two cars on it. I have removed a flower bed and grass area est 12 msq. I plan to fit 50mm 600mm x 600mm flags so i have dug down just over 300mm.and going to put in 200mm of 40mm scalpings then sharp sand. But the ground is firm but can drive 3x2 wood stake over 150mm. If i dig 2ft to 3ft further i get to sand.

could anyone give me some advice if this is ok??
do i need to reinforce it in some way.?
or anyway to get round it
any advice would be great.

thanks
andy

Sponsored Links
Laying a paved area is not like building upwards where the need for ultra-stable foundations is a must. So long as the sub base is 'contained' then you will be ok.

If a base is too rigid then problems can occur as a result. In most domestic situations, 150mm of hard core plus paving (tarmac, flags, concrete etc), is usually enough.

It is wise however to protect against large changes in ground water conditions. Those people who are laying on clay for example, are best using a geotextile fabric that can help deal with excessive changes in water content whether that be drying or wetting of the subsoil.

You are lucky if you have sand. ;)

Thank's noseall,

Put my mind to rest. Just did not want to see all this work to sink away under my van. will let you know how things go. :)

ps..if you ever need any advice on locks as i am a locksmith not a problem.!

cheer's
andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back