Driveway questions - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am having works done at my house and unfortunately the driveway got damaged by lorries during excavation etc. Now I want to replace the driveway, but I have a few questions.

The driveway there before was been there for some time now, it was done before we moved in, how long ago, I dont know. It was dipping in a small section but that section has now been built upon, so it doesnt matter. Some of the block paving got taken off and we are now left with the sharp sand and what looks to be some mud dug out from the ground during drainage works.

I have the following questions/observations.

• I noticed that with the driveway construction, I don't see a layer of type 1 MOT, although the ground in the area is solid, its like clay mixed with gravel, so I suspect they dug up a little bit, put some sharp sand and then block paving on it.
  • Should I scrape of the sharp sand and place new block paving or dig a little deeper and line with type 1 mot ?
  • The front of the house has 2 sections, an existing driveway and a front garden, the existing driveway doesn't have ACO drain at the bottom of it, and no soakaway. I now intend to make the front of the house a drive, so combine the existing drive and the front garden to make a bigger drive.
  • The front garden will be dug up 250mm, of which 150mm will be compacted type 1 MOT, and the rest sharp sand + block paving, just unsure of what to do about the existing driveway when the surface is replaced and the question on ACO drain.

This is what is left of the drive, and at the front you can see the sharp sand exposed, to your left are some of the clay dug up when burying drainage pipes.

drive3.jpeg

This is the slightly better part of the drive, although its no longer flat, it has more or less bowed due to the heavy lories, the sides have caved in a little, and middle still maintained it level, hence the reason for the bow.

drive2.jpeg

Attachments

• drive1.jpeg
    drive1.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back