How much should a Block Drive cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had two quotes to upgrade my driveway (98m2) and to the untrained eye they both appear to be similar except for the price.

My question; is one too high or one too low, and what would the typical price per m2 for this type of work?

Quote 1;

Groundworks
  • Dig out area.
  • Test for soft areas and dig where necessary.
  • Stone areas with hardcore and compact.
  • Lay wash sand and compact.
Driveway
  • Screed area to required levels.
  • Lay required blocks
  • Compact and sand area to a level surface.
  • Install Channels and Natural Soak Away.
Price £8.8K

Quote 2;

• Clear driveway to the required level.
  • Compact all foundations of the driveway with a 5 ton roller and whacker plate.
  • Install all Type 1 hardcore base to the required levels and depths and compact all hardcore with a 5 ton roller and whacker plate.
  • Install ACO drainage channels.
  • Lay permeable membrane on the driveway area and lay a sharp sand base to the driveway and machine compact.
  • Lay block paving to the driveway and machine compact into the sand base.
  • Sweep kiln dried sand into the joints of the blocks and sealant.
Price £6.5k

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
+++++
Unhelpful
+++++

Last edited by a moderator:
I was quoted £90/sqm for similar to 1) a few years ago. North England

Quotes seem different (scope of works) to me; no digging on quote 2

I was quoted £90/sqm for similar to 1) a few years ago. North England

Quotes seem different (scope of works) to me; no digging on quote 2
This is the Midlands, therefore, quote 1 is in the correct ballpark.

The guy said he would excavate to the correct level for all the prescribed infill.

Sponsored Links
I paid £130/sqm last year (lancs.) for a top notch job - 150sqm. 26 tonnes MOT, 5 tonnes 5mm granite to dust (might have been more), marshalls driveset coppice. Took crew of 3 11days to dig out and lay. Included some accos and drainage work.

Clearly I’m going to have to legislate for a higher spend. The guy providing the lower quote has to be cutting corners.

+++++
Unhelpful
+++++

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just paid around £130/SQM in Manchester for brindle block.
Did include some hedge removal, new step and tarmac work on the footpath.

Have you researched into the two companies?
Lot of dodgy driveway firms.

Those quotes just state operations and neither state specifications or material standards, so they could be quoting for completely different things and you would not know.

Obviously going to have to get more quotes.
Out of interest, I found the contractor for the lower quote on trusted traders. They had over 200 positive reviews, I must say I tend to treat some with suspicion.
The provider of the higher quote is a small local business (deals only in brick paving), been in the business since the late 1980’s, doesn’t advertise much and I have seen a lot of his work in the area.

Thanks for all the input.

Obviously going to have to get more quotes.
Out of interest, I found the contractor for the lower quote on trusted traders. They had over 200 positive reviews, I must say I tend to treat some with suspicion.
The provider of the higher quote is a small local business (deals only in brick paving), been in the business since the late 1980’s, doesn’t advertise much and I have seen a lot of his work in the area.

Thanks for all the input.
Where in the Midlands are you?

Coventry.
I'm in south Birmingham, I've had a few drives done by Aspire drives, not sure if the will travel that far but maybe, very competitive prices and they do a great job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back