Block paving driveway questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone hope this is in correct section as posted earier in garden but think its better here, I am thinking about getting my drive way done , I currently is partially block paved but I am thinking I may get it re-done and get the full lot done as the soil is very damp were I live as clay underneath and grass is covered in worm casts + wife just passed test so could do with larger drive.

I have been looking on check a trade and some of the company's say they use

All our paving is set on a solid non sinking concrete base (the same concrete they build houses on) if it can hold your house up it can hold your car.

so is a concrete base or a sand base better ? I didn't know anyone used concrete for block paving on driveway and if they do are you able to lift the blocks if needed for ay reason or do the paves stick to the concrete as I imagine ?

also I read that clay pavers are better as hold colour etc is this the case ?

Lastly how my neighbour said he knows an electrical cable or phone cable runs under my grass at front would it be a lot deeper than then the drive would be dug out ?

any help if appreciated
thanks Dean

Sponsored Links
The electric would be deeper than the phone but both could be anything between 10cm and 100cm.

I think they would lay a concrete base, then sand, then blocks rather than blocks direct onto the concrete.

Don’t use checkatrade. Get a word of mouth recommendation from a friend, neighbour or random local with a nice drive.

The cable is probably from virgin media if you have services with them make sure the block pavers do not damage in the process as it will be a right nightmare to get fixed once laid. Checkatrade is fine you will get good people on there just get a few quotes.

Sponsored Links
The cable is probably from virgin media if you have services with them make sure the block pavers do not damage in the process as it will be a right nightmare to get fixed once laid. Checkatrade is fine you will get good people on there just get a few quotes.

Firstly thanks everyone for your recomendations and help. Also anyone who just got new drives got printed concrete in my area and i dont want that incase ever has to come up. I dont know whos cable etc it would be but i would expect it to be deep but if only 10cn thats bad how will u find out if cable is there ?

Also do you think it will be a dry concrete mix then sharp sand then pavers ? Is this the best way to do it ? Just worry it sinks in places then a nightmare but suppose could just add more sand. But is this the way many companies work using concrete underneath.

And should i ask aboit clay pavers as they are made to last or is concrete fine aslong as sealed often ?

I will need a drain fitting aswel but may email a few companys is there any certain questions i ahould be asking.

Thanks dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back