driveway block paving questions

got a much better estimate today and it was for a better stone (beamish cobble) so think going to go with that he said he most likely couldn't get into the drains on my pro[erty as the level slopes down and drain at the top so said he would use a sump and said the water drains into the ground but this is a large company and say loads people have to do that how exactly does it work ?

was worries would cause subsidence but obviously they do all the time.

the concrete paving is better prices so will just have to get sealed every year or every few years
thanks Dean

Sponsored Links
He will mean a soakaway, there are stone filled ones and hollow plastic ones. They should be a minimum of 5mtrs from your house.

He will mean a soakaway, there are stone filled ones and hollow plastic ones. They should be a minimum of 5mtrs from your house.
the drain in to the left just out of my door as the land slopes this way but also slopes down towards house , so I would expect it to be near the house. would rather it go into drain but they know better than me. also thinking I may get quote for clay pavers and then decide between the clay normal looking pavers and beamish cobble concrete

thanks for all your help so far its greatly appreciated
Dean

The reason he wont put the water into the drain is its most likely a foul drain.
Soakaway drain will be fine and avoid potential problems later, its not a good idea to put large amounts of rain water into the sewers..its probably illegal in your area too without council consent.

Nice block the Beamish

Sponsored Links
The reason he wont put the water into the drain is its most likely a foul drain.
Soakaway drain will be fine and avoid potential problems later, its not a good idea to put large amounts of rain water into the sewers..its probably illegal in your area too without council consent.

Nice block the Beamish
Thats for that ahhh right ok thats fine then and getting clay oavers prices as if same price for normal clay pavers compared to the beamish cobble i may go that direction as all summer my drive in direct sunlight and so worried about pavers fading even when sealed.

Thats for that ahhh right ok thats fine then and getting clay oavers prices as if same price for normal clay pavers compared to the beamish cobble i may go that direction as all summer my drive in direct sunlight and so worried about pavers fading even when sealed.

They dont really fade its just grime.
Lots of sun is a good thing as it helps keep them free from moss ,algae as they thrive in damp shaded areas..

that's for all help and recommendations everyone its greatly appreciated. ordered the beamish cobble concrete blocks today in stone grey. will get sealed in spring or maybe enquire about doing it my self if can get better stuff for cheaper what do you recommend ? sometimes easier to just get someone to come and seal for £150 or whatever it costs, they have 5 teams of installers and great reviews but they may be able to start next week so that would be good. my friend used and recommended the company.

Thanks Dean

Nice one,its winter so a weeks notice isn't uncommon.
Getting paving dry to sand and compact it so you can park on it, can be a bit of a pain this weather.
So be prepared for this if it gets a bit rough weather wise.

Well they started today amd manged to get all the grass up and all paving, the grass was lower than paving but they havnt really excavated much this may be becasue already has base were the block paving previously was and at end of day one they have base down and only a sprinkle ontop of were the origional base was ?

Its a few inches deep and 30cm below damp proof and 20cm on other end as on a slope. They have also dug a 2foot deep hole 1.5m from house as in pictures is this the soak away ?

Just a bit concerned as didnt really excavate much just dug out slightly, unless they are raising the drive up. Also you think more base will be coming tomorro or will that be it ? Said should be done by friday

Thanks dean
20181204_160231.jpg
20181204_135034.jpg

Why don't you ask these questions from the men on site???

Sorry but this doesn't sound like a pro job, this will come back to bite you.

Andy

Its a large com
Why don't you ask these questions from the men on site???

Sorry but this doesn't sound like a pro job, this will come back to bite you.

Andy
Its a large conpany with loads of great reviews on checked and vetted etc get 2 years warranty aswel and i also know someone who used same company and was very happy. The 2 men on site are polish i think but will speak to them tomorro or ring the boss and speak to him. They have 5 sets teans that install so quite a large company.

There is a good few inches of base but just didnt add much on the side were the old paving was. Also want to check as if that hole is the soak away should be 5m from the house. I will post pic below of the sump.

20181204_155652.jpg

Thanks dean

Last edited:
I'd expect the original hardcore was fine as there newish houses.
there using a grab lorry, this means its being tipped legally.
dodgy traveller type paving companies use small tippers and tip around the corner !!

looks fine to me. Just check the soak away ? Are they cutting into the storm drain or is the base the soak?
I suspect they have it sussed.
Thats good base material too.

How much are you paying per meter?

I need to do mine but don’t know wether to DIY it or get it done by a pro. I dig them up and reinstate them for a living but only ever a patch or a trench.

I'd expect the original hardcore was fine as there newish houses.
there using a grab lorry, this means its being tipped legally.
dodgy traveller type paving companies use small tippers and tip around the corner !!

looks fine to me. Just check the soak away ? Are they cutting into the storm drain or is the base the soak?
I suspect they have it sussed.
Thats good base material too.

Thats for that mate as i was getting really worried by the last post like i say its a large company who have done loads of buisnesses and large jobs round north east with a profesional website and on checked and vetted so trading standards approved with loads of reviews.

Going to say i think need more stone though as only 10mm deep or so and maybe less in places but i spoke to him last night after worrying and says may need more today.

Dont think they are going into storm drain as were it is located wouldnt work. At the minute its a hole with hardcore at bottom? but not sure if a soakaway as not 5m from house and the owner said doesnt need to be but i didnt ask exactly what drainage device is being fitted. He is pavying me a visit today to put my mind at rest he said.

Thanks again for help mate

Last edited:
Any more info on if the drainage is ok would be great as he knows i am not happy with base but said may need more MOT 1 but he coming tomorro as pouring with rain so cannot do much today.

They have dug a hole 1.2m from house and added some of the subbase in the bottom it is around 2 foot deep and i think the aco drains will be going to drian into it i imagine.

Any info would be great
Thanks dean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back