Foundation bodge for 2ft high wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to take a stab at some bricklaying and after a bit of advice please...

Will be building a 2ft high single skin wall to create a raised flower bed in the garden, research points to a pretty standard concrete foundation anything up to 600mm deep.

Thing is I have a load of 6" concrete gravel boards going spare - would digging a trench, bunging a bit of sand in it, then laying the gravel boards flat on top serve as a usable foundation?

I know I should do it 'proper' but just wondering...

Sponsored Links
It’s more to do with digging down to a stable sub soil, but for a 2 foot high wall you don’t need a lot of foundation. I’d deffo pour a strip of concrete a few inches thick. guess your method may possibly work if you’re lucky. Seen Victorian 6foot high garden walls built on basically nothing, still going strong.

You're supposed to tie them in together somehow, so you could make it like lasagne with a layer of mortar between each board.

Sponsored Links
If these were the 12" boards I'd say "yes" but 6" is not much wider than the wall and so the load is not being spread out enough sideways to prevent the wall leaning.

If you could lay two side by side an two course high (and bonded), and then one on top centally, then that would be much better.

18" deep shouldbe OK if the top soil has all gone at that depth and the ground is firm.

Don't use just sand to level them as it will wash out. Mix with cement, semi dry.

Thanks for the advice, 12" concrete foundation going in deep to hit the clay - too much messing around at that depth to get gravel boards level enough to be usable.

Now for a new post with next stupid questions...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back