2ft high wall - piers needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still going on about my intended 2ft high wall to create raised flower beds!

As per the attached: intending to build a 2ft high single skin brick wall to create a raised bed against a fence that has 2ft high concrete gravel boards at the base.

One wall about 3m long to a corner, other wall approx. 11m long and worried about the weight of earth contained pushing the wall outwards.

Do you think I need to build some piers into it?

Will 'internal' piers on the earth side do any good or do they need to be on the 'external' side?

Will a single brick width coming out be enough or should I build an entire pillar?

Will also be placing a 235L water butt at the end of the wall also raised about 2ft, possibly supported on single skin walls with a bit of 6mm steel plate laid on top - walls alone should support or should I fill below with concrete?

Probably overthinking the whole thing but thinking means I don't have to get on with the hard work

raised beds.png piers.png

Sponsored Links
I’d build a pillar or even a return that would be below ground every couple of meters.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean like this (or something along those lines)? If so piers not required. It’s single skin block about 3 foot high. It’s full of soil but it’s fairly narrow and I don’t think the earth exerts much sideways pressure on the wall.

Attachments

• 402D6A0C-0F95-4FE9-8B83-C2766FC1203E.jpeg
    402D6A0C-0F95-4FE9-8B83-C2766FC1203E.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 196
A bit of shape to the wall could make it many times stronger.

It's the first real brick wall I've built so don't worry it will have plenty of shape to it :eek:

As Ian said, will go with 18" high returns and try to tie in somehow to every other fencepost even if it's only with a long screw into the mortar line.

Must remember they're there though and not try to dig them out in the future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back