Base for Patio Question! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have a fairly large patio which is slightly raised from the rest of the garden. There literally is not a single solid slab on the whole patio so today i have taken a few up to see what generally lies beneath.

Clearly, for all of the slabs to have failed, there must be something fundamentally wrong?

My question is;

• Would i be able to clean up this base, of weeds and loose rubble, and then fill in the voids with mortar? Once that has dried, i would essentially then have a level solid base for new mortar on top ready to re lay the slabs? (I do have enough room before the patio doors to allow for a new mortar bed and the depth of the slabs)

Would that work and last?

My original thought was that the whole bed would need to be broken up and dug out before then laying a new sub base etc however obviously if that can be avoided, i would rather stick with my idea as it would be a lot easier and cost effective.

Thanks all :)

Adam

20210305_164521.jpg
20210305_164533.jpg
20210305_164544.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back