Basecoat for emulsion or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just wondering, I'm decorating my whole house at the moment and I'm lining all the walls with 1400 grade dulux lining paper and painting with emulsion. Is it worth painting the paper with a coat of white emulsion before painting on the top coat or is it not necessary?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some do, some dont, personally i've never seen the point i'd rather do a 3rd coat of the colour thats being applied.
It does make a big difference what paint you use so go with good quality trade emulsions and avoid the sheds own brands.

Lining paper is painted wallpaper - and looks awful. I'd rather see a rough wall than lining paper.

opinions differ...

I'm not much good at wallpapering, and better at patching and smoothing. But it takes time and is labour-intensive.

Sponsored Links
im trying the patching and smoothing approach at the moment, I have picked the 2 worst walls so face and stripped and cleaned, removed all rawl plags and nails, easy filled all holes cracks and gouges, waited rubbed down, mist coated dilluted emulsion, waited, found all the scratches, divets and rough patches, easi filled again, sanded, painted, found a few more divets sanded painted, the few last ones just filled and painted today and now im waiting till the morning. If it looks like a bag of poo tied in the middle im going to get my old dear round to hang the lining paper for me.... haha

Rob

Lining paper is painted wallpaper - and looks awful. I'd rather see a rough wall than lining paper.

How can you say you would rather see a rough wall? I have easifilled and sanded all my walls and then lined them including the ceilings and you can't tell what so ever that they have been lined and i'm very pickie when it comes to doing a propper job.

Your not a decorator are you joe-90? If you are I dread to think what your papering like?

I find it easier to use a broad metal scraper than to sand off. If you do it as soon as the plaster patch is cheesy it scrapes flat easily with no dust.

I find it easier to use a broad metal scraper than to sand off. If you do it as soon as the plaster patch is cheesy it scrapes flat easily with no dust.

I agree! Lined walls are neither better nor worse than bare plastered ones, just different. You can get an excellent (or an awful) result with both depending on how well the wall is prepared before the emulsion is applied.

I have recently spent a day and a half sanding and filling some living room walls to the point where I could have painted them and it would have looked great - but customer wanted the slightly softer effect of lining - so I did that. Finished with flat matt emulsion, and absolutely invisible joins, the walls looked great.

I agree! Lined walls are neither better nor worse than bare plastered ones, just different. You can get an excellent (or an awful) result with both depending on how well the wall is prepared before the emulsion is applied.

I have recently spent a day and a half sanding and filling some living room walls to the point where I could have painted them and it would have looked great - but customer wanted the slightly softer effect of lining - so I did that. Finished with flat matt emulsion, and absolutely invisible joins, the walls looked great.

Exactly.. i agree. providing you put tbe prep in the job will look seamless....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back