Do you Caulk skirting before Blinding coat on walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm about to screw my skirting onto the walls, the walls have been painted with polycell basecoat complete to help with a few hairline cracks, I was told to put skirting on BEFORE I do my blinding coat of emulsion,

should i caulk the gaps at top of skirting before I put first coat of emulsion on?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the skirting is going to be painted then and is raw wood, a coat of primer needs to be applied first. Caulking doesnt stick very well to new timber or bare plaster. Both need at least one coat to help the caulk to adhere to the surfaces then subsequent coats can be aplied. Joiners tend to caulk new skirts and arcs up when they have fitted them but if left for any length of time it comes off.

If the skirting is going to be painted then and is raw wood, a coat of primer needs to be applied first. Caulking doesnt stick very well to new timber or bare plaster. Both need at least one coat to help the caulk to adhere to the surfaces then subsequent coats can be aplied. Joiners tend to caulk new skirts and arcs up when they have fitted them but if left for any length of time it comes off.

Cheers, Robbie.
I have Dulux uncercoat/primer for wood i was going to use on the raw skirting, so i'll do that first before i caulk, what about the walls though, at the moment it has that polycell basecoat on it, will the caulk stick to that ok?

As long as the wall has been coated in some form of paint the skirts can be fitted and then caulked up. Let it dry and then further coats can be applied coming down onto the top edge of the skirting covering the caulk. Final coats of paint can be used on the skirting cutting it back to the wall...easier than the other way round ie wall back to skirting. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
OK, cheers Robbie,
Here' my plan of action let me know if this is any good:

1. Skirting screwed in
2. Fill holes, Knotting, Dry
3. Undercoat/Primer, Dry
4. Caulk, Dry
5. Undercoat on Caulk (so paint stickes to it better?)
6. Gloss skirting (avoid caulk)
7. Paint Blinding coat on wall over caulk too
8. 2nd Coat on wall over caulk too
9. Final Gloss on skirting over caulk?

Dont gloss until last of all.

1/ fix skirts to wall / fill / knotting (only on raw wood)
2/ prime skirts. leave to dry
3/ caulk walls where the skirts meet the wall. leave to dry
4/ paint walls onto top edge of skirting over caulking
5/ Undercoat skirts. leave to dry
6/ Final coat of emulsion onto top edge of skirts.leave to dry
7/ One or two coats of gloss on skirts cutting neatly back to wall on to edge of skirt.
Rubbing woodwork down between coats of course. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back