When to caulk ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if its been asked, but just want to be sure.

I have MDF pre primed skirting just put onto walls which have bare plaster (1 wall is brand new, rest are all old plaster). Do I put caulk on skirt between wall and skirt before or after painting skirt / walls? From reading elsewhere, caulk doesn't stick to plaster well? I have to apply mist coat to walls and then 2 coats of finish on top. For skirt will be 1 under coat and hopefully 1 top coat, maybe 2.

Personally I thought painting skirt first would be better, as I dont have to worry too much about getting any paint on wall when painting. Then when applying wall paint, I can tape skirt. I have had some issues in past with tape, even frog tape, taking some paint off emulsion walls, by doing this I can tape onto the wood skirt instead.

Maybe I should mist coat first as it may be alot more runney as its got alot more water in it?

Please help, cheers !

Sponsored Links
Caulk can peel away from bare plaster because, as with paint, it sucks out all of the moisture. I always mist coated first and then caulked. The caulk will adhere to the pre-primed skirting without problems and painting that after the walls is the better way. You've probably read it before but, a steady hand and a good quality, chiselled tipped brush, will beat tape every time.

So mist first then caulk then finish wall coats then skirt paint? Or should i just paint walls complete then caulk and paint skirt?

Thanks misterhelpful

Sponsored Links
I would paint everything as far as just needing top coat and then caulk, as mister says dry timber and plaster can suck the moisture out and it will shrink and crack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back