Basement Advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. yes, i've done a search, and read every post with the word Basement, or Cellar for 25 pages of searching :)

I believe i need to choose one of two options, which i will attempt to explain.

The basement size is roughly 14 ft by 9 ft. Damp is not really a huge problem , its cold down there, but not really very damp.

The walls are rendered, then painted. and here and there, there are blown parts, where the paint has cracked etc. The wall underneath is a tad crumbly. (as you would expect i guess...)

anyhow..due to the fact that i need to hide some pipes, i was planning to construct a wooden frame, with polythene on the inside, with plasterboard.

however, i believe i need to address the wall itself to some degree, reading the posts on here, the cheap-as-chips option is to just seal it all up with Wickes Damp Proof Membrane found here:-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Liquid-Damp-Proofing/Liquid-Damp-Proof-Membrane/invt/241217

the more expensive and more difficult option, seems to be, to remove all the render, brush down the walls, and use 1 coat of vandex Unimortar 1, found here:-

http://www.treatdamp.co.uk/Vandex+Unimortar+1+-+25Kg-p-30.html

followed by a coat of Vandex BB75.

I have no idea how many bags of each i would need, but i'm guessing a few hundred quids worth.

I should mention, i installed a large double radiator down there, about 2 years ago. and it has pretty much dried the room out.

1 of the walls, i will not be able to ''frame'' etc. but will just have to be a coating of some sort. due to a staircase coming down that side.

The room will only be used occasionally, probably by the kids as a playroom.

any information on best guess as to which way to go would be gratefully recieved.

Steve

Sponsored Links
I did my cellar a few years ago and built stud walling from pressurised treated timbers which was freestanding and about 25mm away from the existing walls to allow for ventilation (put a few hit and miss wall grills around the plasterwork). Squeezed some insulation batts between the studs and overboarded with foil-backed boards (acts as dpm and heat reflector), before skimming the lot.

Warm, dry and never a whiff of anything untoward behind it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back