Basement Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use our basement as our family room and do a lot of entertaining this room. The ceiling however is nothing but open woodwork and I would like to cover it. I don't however want a drop ceiling, I have thought about using ply wood, but am not sure on installation. I am very excited to do this myself. Do you have any suggestions for someone who has no clue what they are doing?

Sponsored Links
I am facing the same problem. I was curious if you had any feedback or what you ended up doing with your ceiling. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you , Ashley.

i,m a dryliner/ceiling fixer by profession.
if the ceiling joists are level with each other just use nails or screws {galvanised} to nail up 6ftx3ft plasterboards{12.5 mm}.nail them directly to the joists cutting the boards so they land half on the joist.any questions let me know.
if your joist are covered in wiring and pipework,as most are,it would be far easier to drop the ceiling below these than try and cut around them.

Sponsored Links
I am going through a basement ceiling now and I have it split in two areas. One area I am painting the floor joists a dark color like you see in restaurants or other retail stores. The other section I am going to cut 4'x4' luan and hang it with 1x2 finished boards and let the luan just sit loose. This will create a 4'x4' square celing.
Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back