Ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am hoping someone can give me some advice on ceiling insulation. We recently moved into a house that has two outhouses below the third bedroom. We plan to convert these into internal rooms when finances permit! However in the mean time the upstairs bedroom becomes very cold as these rooms are not heated so i am looking at trying to insulate the ceiling within these outhouses in the mean time. I was hoping someone might know a fairly quick and cost effective way of doing this as the bedroom is currently too cold for our baby to move into! i was thinking perhaps i could stick some fibreglass insulation panels to the ceiling but not sure if these even exist?? Any ideas most welcome as i need to get this job done before the colder weather gets going.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is only a tempoary measure as you are going to renovate the rooms eventually then it may be the simiplist option to put up some boards as you envisage.
I'd get some 25mm or maybe 50mm kinspan and put that up. It comes in 8x4 sheets and is lightweight and easy to use. Fix with screws and penny washers (large ones sometimes called repair washers). It won't look pretty but will do the job for now plus the kingspan can be reused at a later date with little trouble.

Insulating the ceilings of out houses will have zero effect on room temp above them.

You`d have to remove the ceilings and fill between the joists with insulation

Sponsored Links
Granted , it's not the best solution but the OP is only looking for a tempoary fix and as long as he stops the draughts and heats the room above then it'll help in the short term. I'm looking at the room below being little more than a glorified floor void in this case and long term the rooms would probably need dry lining and insulating in their own right.

Granted , it's not the best solution but the OP is only looking for a tempoary fix and as long as he stops the draughts and heats the room above then it'll help in the short term. I'm looking at the room below being little more than a glorified floor void in this case and long term the rooms would probably need dry lining and insulating in their own right.
It's no solution at all, room needs heating properly and roof above insulating, walls and ceiling are main loss of heat, no mention of draughts and cold does not rise, cold is simply an absence of heat, every house has a cold floor [unless they are heated.] If room is above out houses then presumably has three exposed walls adding to heat loss.

Why do we insulate ground floors then?
===========================
In your average room the floor surface temperature mimics the close by air temperature.
However our feet measure about 30C.....therefore heat is always moving down out of our feet into the floor.
Choosing a floor covering with a high resistance to heat flow slows the loss of heat from our feet.

At the same time, some heat moves downwards by radiation and conduction and it does make our heating bills a bit cheaper to slow this loss.

Hi. I am hoping someone can give me some advice on ceiling insulation. We recently moved into a house that has two outhouses below the third bedroom. We plan to convert these into internal rooms when finances permit! However in the mean time the upstairs bedroom becomes very cold as these rooms are not heated so i am looking at trying to insulate the ceiling within these outhouses in the mean time. I was hoping someone might know a fairly quick and cost effective way of doing this as the bedroom is currently too cold for our baby to move into! i was thinking perhaps i could stick some fibreglass insulation panels to the ceiling but not sure if these even exist?? Any ideas most welcome as i need to get this job done before the colder weather gets going.

Many Thanks

If you put your hand on a sheet of polystyrene, you will quickly feel the heat reflected back.
Simply lining the room with sheets of polystyrene will slow the heat loss and make the most of whatever heat you put in there.
May I suggest that you look at quartz halogen, placed in the centre of the room you will get a good result.

Insulating the ceilings of out houses will have zero effect on room temp above them.

That is utter rubbish. The rule of thumb is 15% of the heat will be lost through a suspended timber floor to space outside the thermal envelope of the house.

That is why current building regulations in Scotland at least require 100mm equivalent of fibreglass insulation.

From personal experience it makes more different than you imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back