Bedroom above garage needs insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bedroom is above an unheated garage and is freezing. I don't think there is any insulation between the garage ceiling and the bedroom floor. What would be the best way to insulate the suspended floor - from below by taking down the existing garage ceiling or from above by lifting the bedroom floorboards. I'm thinking lifting the floorboards in the bedroom might be better as the bedroom is only half the length of the garage so we don't need to insulate the whole length of the garage ceiling. I also want to replace the existing laminate floor with carpet and a thick underlay so the room will have to be cleared anyway. Would this be easy enough to do ourselves or would we better getting an insulation professional in? Is it likely to be a pricey job? What would the best type of insulation be?

Sponsored Links
Majority of heat loss will be thru the flat roof and walls , very little thru the floor, an oversized radiator would be advisable.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant the garage roof is a flat roof. The roof of our bedroom is a pitched roof.

Snap.... we had EXACTLY the same problem with our son's bedroom, which is above the garage and utility and outside the main body of the house, so is always cold.

The problem is that the rest of the house is well insulated and we have an Aga so it takes a long time for the body of the house to cool down, meaning that the CH only trips in a couple of times in the evening after it's warmed the house up. This means the bedroom warms up then cools down fast and is seldom warm enough.

My cycling buddy is a builder so this summer he came in and dry-lined the walls with battens with Kingspan insulating foam between, then a layer of plasterboard backed by polystyrene foam. He pulled down the sloping part of the ceiling and the small end wall and lined them with thick Kingspan then re-boarded. At the same time we took the opportunity to put a Velux skylight in the sloping roof. This cost £2000 and has meant a complete redecoration of the entire room, which has turned into a real millstone around our necks. School re-started today and the job is still not finished because we also fitted a wardrobe and fitted desk and that has taken a heck of a lot of painting.

Let's hope it turns out to be worth the effort and expense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back