garage ceiling bedroom floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

Have an extremely cold bedroom above the garage extension. Any advice on how to insulate this ceiling/floor would be greatly appreciated - just bought the house last year and just reallised there is no insulation in this position

regards

:p

Sponsored Links
In a similar situation what I did was to knock fencing staples part way into the joists and used the green garden twine stuff to provide diagonal lacing between adjacent joists to support 100mm fibreglass insulation. I then put up plasterboard as mine was a lean-to kitchen but in your garage you could use hardboard or some other type of covering. Alternatively, you can get paper backed fibreglass and nail the paper to the joists with felt nails. For some reason the paper backed stuff seems a lot dearer though. My workshop has thick expanded polystyrene slabs forming a complete ceiling but I would not do that as it is a fire hazard.

if your using the garage for your car make sure you use fire lined plasterboards on the ceiling maybe two skins and insulate with insulation the more the better.

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
if your using the garage for your car make sure you use fire lined plasterboards on the ceiling maybe two skins and insulate with insulation the more the better.

To comply with regs, 30min fire barrier is required regardless of the use of the garage. I would use a celotex type insulation, its expensive but works very well. But as this job has prob been done already its a bit late now.

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back