Bedroom above garage needs insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bedroom is above an unheated garage and is freezing. I don't think there is any insulation between the garage ceiling and the bedroom floor. What would be the best way to insulate the suspended floor - from below by taking down the existing garage ceiling or from above by lifting the bedroom floorboards. I'm thinking lifting the floorboards in the bedroom might be better as the bedroom is only half the length of the garage so we don't need to insulate the whole length of the garage ceiling. I also want to replace the existing laminate floor with carpet and a thick underlay so the room will have to be cleared anyway. Would this be easy enough to do ourselves or would we better getting an insulation professional in? Is it likely to be a pricey job? What would the best type of insulation be?

Sponsored Links
Before you get too carried away with underfloor insulation what is the state/level of insulation in the roof above and the walls? Heat rises so you will get much more benefit from concentrating on those areas first. Insulating the floor will only give limited benefit and if you are laying carpet anyway you will probably eradicate most of the draughts in doing so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back