Basement window drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently renovated a basement by digging it out and tanking it of.

When I was digging it out we opened up what looks like the old coal hatch or maybe a small entrance to the basement from the outside.

Basically behind the outside wall there is a sort of bay opening at the top. I am thinking this will be a great place to fit a window in the wall of the basement and leave the hatch open to allow light and just cover with a cage.

The problem is when it rains this is obviously going to fill with water. I am thinking to maybe dig a hole behind the outer wall of the bay with a drain from inside the bay leading into it to allow for natural drainage. Do you think this will work? or do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links
The lowered area outside the window will not be very large so won't be subject to much rainfall.
Why not put gravel down so that the surface is 150 below the cill of the window, and just let any rain drain naturally by percolation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back