Correcting basement sump drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victorian semi with a basement, which has a sump in a corner near the external wall. I bought the place with a sump pump installed and that's fine but the drainage arrangements are horrible. The outflow from the pump goes into a length of corrugated plastic drainage hose which heads up the basement wall, out of a very small height ground-level window opening (no window but a rusty grille and the hose goes through a hole in it), along the side passage of the house and into a drain opening. There must be a better and more normal approach. I know that the drain passes under the side passage i.e. close to the sump location so there must be an option to get this thing draining into it without all the crazy hose. Should I speak to some kind of drainage contractor?

Sponsored Links
Probably could have a Gully installed nearer to where the pipe exits the building, (and look to replace some of the pipework with rigid plastic to tidy it up, needs a flexible joint at the pump though to allow for movement), cost will depend of depth of drain, difficulty of excavation required, and type of reinstatement. Best advice is to get a couple or 3 Builders to look and give a Quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back