Blocking off a basement window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my wife and I have viewed an old Victorian house with the only drawback being no parking which is a game changer, the house next door was converted into flats with parking behind, we’ve asked the freeholder if we can negotiate a price for access down the drive to put parking to the back of the house but was refused.

The property has a basement, at the front there are two basement windows (one bay, one normal), about a 4ft gap and then the retaining wall that holds the front garden in.

Question.... is it possible to completely block off the windows in order to fill in and bring the front garden up to the edge of the house so we can put a car on it? Not worried about losing the light to the rooms as planning to use basement for storage etc. I know it may be a ridiculous or even impossible idea but it’s the only way we’ll get dedicated parking at the property and are exploring all avenues before we have to walk away..... many thanks in advance for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
All things are possible. A simpler option might be to bridge the gap with some steel and a mesh deck.
Before you consider any of this, make sure you can have a dropped kerb (there are technical considerations to do with visibility and buried services)

If you filled the garden in up to the house wall you would need tanking to waterproof the basement wall.

A steel frame and deck or frame and glass blocks (if they would take the load) would be easier and still give light.

Sponsored Links
You'd be a fool to buy a property that required essential work doing, for which you don't know if the necessary planning, building and other permission would be forthcoming or would have restrictions or conditions that would be prohibitively expensive.

I wasn't suggesting filling the garden in up to the basement wall with the work involved in tanking would be the best thing to do, just pointing out the waterproofing implications for the basement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back