Idea of cost to reinstate this basement window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A long while back the basement window of our house was bricked up and we now want to put it back to how it was.

The current situation is that we have a small hole there where materials have made their way in to the basement during conversion.

It would be great to get an idea of what to expect in terms of cost (not including the price of the window), with the job broadly consisting of:

- open up rest of hole
- install lintel
- install blockwork inside and bring up to required height
- install frame of some kind for arched top to window
- install brick arch detail
- install window
- make good etc

£500-800, £800-1,000, £1,000-1,200, £1,200+??

Some pics to give an idea of things:

-------

Outside showing window location and current hole:

Inside showing hole through membrane:

Inside showing some blocks- will need to block up against these:

Example of neighbors arch:

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with the arch, put a steel lintel in and get the window as high up as you can - more light, less splashes.

I wouldn't bother with the arch, put a steel lintel in and get the window as high up as you can - more light, less splashes.

That's an idea, not sure what the planners would make of it though! I think they'd rather it resembled what it did originally. This is one house on a row of 4 with these windows too, so it wouldn't look right unfortunately.

It’s not got much of a curve though, what about soldiers on a lintel?

Sponsored Links
It’s not got much of a curve though, what about soldiers on a lintel?

Yea could do that. Or at least keep the 1+0.5 brick pattern on each row, but have them all vertical. That's a little bit less work.

Any idea on what kind of prices you'd expect to come back for the whole job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back