Brick arch dropped while replacing upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just had a quick question im doing a project on a house ive bought. I was in the middle of replacing a bedroom window with upvc window and the arch brickwork above it dropped from 1 side around 5 bricks. Whats the best way to repair this?
Its a solid wall 9 inchs i believe the inside wall is supported with timber lintel. Could i just push the bricks up and wedge roofing slates in the 2 sides of where the bricks have dropped and point the bricks or would i need to remove the arch and replace with a concrete lintel and build back up?

Sponsored Links
If it's an arch it will self support. Rebuild it.

If it's a flat-arch or soldiers, you will need an 'L' shaped metal lintel.

If you want it to look crap, use a concrete lintel.

If you want to do a proper job, replace the timber lintel too.

Its a bricked arch self support type. I was trying to avoid having to rebuild it. Theres around 5 bricks which have tilted foward from the top. The window opening is 1000mm. Would it be sufficient to tap the bricks back into position and wedge slates into the gap between the end of the arch where it meets the wall and the other side where the 5th brick has moved against the brick that's ok on the arch and point it so you cant see the slates. Would it be strong enough to hold it together.

Sponsored Links
20171219_151313.jpg
20171219_151514.jpg
20171219_151358.jpg

If i do rebuild it would i need to support the brickwork above the arch or would i be ok removing the arch and rebuilding it.

As it's a 9 inch solid wall it will probably be OK, although you might lose a couple of the cut bricks. Always difficult to be sure without being on site.

Im Just thinking if i should just put in a 1200mm concrete lintel and brick up the arch to save me any more hassle in the future.

You could try tapping them back up gently, then wedging with slate. But then you will need to grind out and point all the joints front back and underside, and the top collar joint too about 40 -50mm.

As you need to fill the gap, you may as well get a PVC former and use it to rebuild the arch.

Yeh metal lintel would be fine. Not too bothered how it looks as long as the wall is supported properly thats all im after.

I will try tapping them back up first and wedge some slates in n see if that does the trick if that fails I'd have to go down the lintel route instead.
I'd be able to point the front and underside of the arch but how do you do that back?
On some of the joints the mortar looks fine and not moved would i still have to grind it out and repoint them too? Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back