Solid brick wall lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of lintel should i use above a window in a house with 9 inch solid brick walls ?....At the moment its a piece of wood on the inside course (above window frame ) and a brick arch on the outside.. I want to put a bigger window in so the arch will be no good........Bill

Sponsored Links
This will depend on the size of the opening and the load above the window.
Both the window and the replacing of this type of lintel will need to meet building regulations, so I would advice getting the correct calculation done by a structural engineer.
It could well be that two lintels are need to be installed. They could be concrete or steel.

As PBD has pointed out, the span is the most important factor as are the loads imparted upon it.

Under typical domestic loads, a proprietary pressed steel (catnic or similar) will deal with most openings. Heavy duty lintels are available for some point loads.
CATNIC_EXTERNAL_SOLID_WALL_STEEL_LINTEL_900MM_CNZ94C.jpg

Brilliant thanks for that...we are replacing a 4 foot window with a 6 foot one....the house is a dormer bungalow, so there are only about 6 courses of bricks above the window....Bill

Sponsored Links
The lack of brickwork above can be a prohibiting factor as larger masses of masonry are self arching, i.e. the more the merrier.

1.8m is no hill 'o' beans though.

Check the loft above the window, it might be bearing the weight of the roof or some girder trusses. Especially if the roof is only 6 courses above where your lintel is going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back