Brick arch dropped while replacing upvc window

Just had a quick question regarding lintel. I was wonder if i can use a steel or galvanised flat bar lintel to support the bricks above the window rather than and concrete lintel or is that a no no?

Sponsored Links
I can see why Woodys getting frustrated. You're asking for answers, and then telling him he's wrong. If you try and put a steel lintel in, you may well need to take the window out first, support the upper courses with a strong boy, get the lintel in, and then reinstate 4 course. Now if you wedge the LH side up so that it can't drop, and then carefully take the dropped bricks out, then put in a (preferably a curved) former on the RH side, and then cement the bricks back in using bits of slate as you've got to really shove things together, then you should be fine. If it's not tight, then you may get a bit of dropping later, and have to repoint a couple of the courses above it at a later date.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. I haven't told woody he's wrong. Im after advice and you guys will have a lot my experience than i have im just looking for the quickest way to repair it.

The window isn't properly fitted in yet so can be easily removed. So shall i remove the window support the good side of the arch with timber and acro or something else so they dont move and then remove the dropped bricks and possibly build it back up wedging slates in.
Also im not too sure what a curved former or pvc former is as mentioned before? Do you have a link to a shop so i can see what it looks like.
Thanks for your help

Just do a search for brick arch formers. You just need to knock something up that's the same shape as the arch, and the bricks sit on it whilst the cement goes off. If you can sort out an arch former, then you've only got 6 bricks to deal with. If you take the window out and put in a lintel, then you've got 4 courses to redo. Your choice.

Not at all. There have been a few threads, one recent regarding using metal straps or angle iron as lintel.

I did once - only once mind. Never again. Ever.

I've just checked my diary, and your probation is nearly up. But don't forget the three strikes rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back