Cure run off problem with french/aco style drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi:)

My 80's dormer is built into a slope, RH side of the house is exposed from top to bottom, LH side the ground slopes up above the ground floor (pic below is from when we bought the house).

This window floor level on path is at head height on floor level inside.
inside the room (with window) we get water/moisture ingress. in the pic you can see the witness mark of how much it tracks out from the wall. It never gets any worse than this even during heavy rain prolonged winter periods, and the patches are moist not pools of it coming from the wall.

Outside on the path pretty much every slab the run off is going the wrong way, the water pools on the first one during heavy rain and i'm assuming seeps through into the ground and down the side of the external face of the wall. I lifted the first slab (one just below the soil pipe) and the soil underneath is sodden.

I got a drainage guy out to inspect the drains as wasn't sure if it could be an issue with the soil pipe (pictured), looking at all the info he said he's pretty sure it isn't the soil pipe/drains as there is no odour etc inside the room, and he believes its a run off issue. Also noticed was the ground to the left of the path is moist, i dug a hole to the left of the path exposing damp clay ,which i'm now thinking is adding to problem as i think rainwater etc is possibly draining towards the house as well.
x2 pics below show worst areas of pooling

the rear garden and path will be getting renewed when we landscape, but due to funds and the inside of the house still requiring work, its not going going to be until at least next summer, more realistically the next one if i'm honest.

so i'm hoping to install some kind of temporary/permanent drainage to get the water draining away from the house.

what would be the best method to achieve this??

considered cutting a slot all the way down the slabs (blue area) and sinking in Aco style drainage channel and hooking it up to the rainwater drain? This looks like a lot of work as i think i'd have to replace the rainwater gulley with one that could accept the Aco channel.

Could i dig in a perforated pipe french style drain to the left of the path (red area) ending further down the hill away from the house?

could i also use a french drain in the blue area, again cut a slot, sink in the perforated drain, top with gravel and link them up to drain away from the house?

are there any other solutions apart from digging it all out and renewing the path??

any other advice very welcome, apologies on the size of the post.

many thanks for your time :)

Sponsored Links
Could there be other factors other than surface run-off issues or does this problem only occur when it rains? I think its going to be difficult to control water ingress if the problems are more than just surface water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back