Basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

This is my first post ever on this forum. I have recently bought a house, its a 2 bed semi victorian stone built with a BASEMENT.
I have just finished doing it up (painting, decorating etc), and it looks fab!

The only thing thats spoiling it is the basement, as soon as i open that door and see them concrete steps and plaster crumbling walls, dark creepy room, it makes me think. Have i made a mistake? No i havent! its the best decision i have ever made, i want to make some quality use out of that dark creepy room, its a decent size (i will get some pics), theres so much i can do with it. Make a gym, computer/homecinema room possibilities are endless.

But is it possible to make it happen? It is if i pay someone to do it, but its expensive and i cant afford it (lets be honest eh?).

So people, i've armed myself with some tools and turned to you. I cant say im a complete novice but not basement conversion expert.

First thing first, the walls, plaster or timber cladding? i can do both but which is better? Also any suggestions for floor and ceiling will be appreciated. I will get some pictures, so you have a better idea of what it looks like and what it could look like.

Thank you.

Sorry i forgot, Happy New Year to all.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi and happy new year (and welcome).

First of all, this is something that myself and my partner have considered, and after using our basement for varied different 'makeshift rooms' darkroom (I love photography), utility room, storage and also a tool store, the first question you need to answer is, is the basement waterproof? as we have found out, most basements in Victorian houses were for a coal store and are under the 'waterproof layer' and as such leak water......ours is quite damp, and would need substantial work to make it into any thing useful, although our long term plan is to make split it into three areas, storage, tool storage/workroom and a small study/darkroom.

Once you know this, personally, plaster board and skim (wish I could skim tbh), ceiling again the same. As for the floor, it depends what your going to use the room for and the overall floor to ceiling height......possibly underfloor heating with laminate/lino (guessing its concrete floor at the moment).

If your lucky you might have a window in your basement, we dont, but something we can fit.

i've armed myself with some tools and turned to you. I cant say im a complete novice but not basement conversion expert.
Welcome to the forum!

You will need to tank the basement so do a search on google diy Tanking Waterproofing Cellars and Basements to get some idea, it's will be cheaper than having an extension and the basement is wasted if not being used in the future, may also add value to the property

Sponsored Links
i've armed myself with some tools and turned to you. I cant say im a complete novice but not basement conversion expert.
Welcome to the forum!

You will need to tank the basement so do a search on google diy Tanking Waterproofing Cellars and Basements to get some idea, it's will be cheaper than having an extension and the basement is wasted if not being used in the future, may also add value to the property

Thats what I was trying to say lol.
Thanks buddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back