Basic attic flooring (4 storage space)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to lay some flooring (plyboard or such) in an attic? I would like to create a proper storage space; that my wife and kids can access safely.
I understand the floor must be able to support the pressure of constant walking but how do you check this?
I go up ino the attic once in a while to put stuff away and just walk along the beams of wood. There is a fair amount of junk up there in boxes that weighs a fair bit; so would it be safe to just apply the flooring directly ontop of the beams that i walk on?

Pls help... don't wanna fall through the ceiling!!! :oops: :cry:

Sponsored Links
you can get "special" loft boards they are only special because they are easily manourverable, are just wide enough to go across joists and fit through your loft hatch. but what ever you do make sure it is screwed down not nailed.

available from most diy stores

You should be aware that the ceiling of the floor below is fixed to the loft joists.
If you are up and down to the loft frequently - for instance, you've got a model railway up there, then you may see cracks in your bedroom ceiling after a while.
The way to avoid this is to put in a "Floating" floor - it is not bearing weight directly onto the roof joists.
For all other purposes, like stowing things used infrequently or getting the christmas tree down/up, you should be okay.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back