1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Flakes, 27 Sep 2020.

1. Flakes

Flakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just a really quick question about basic wiring. See photo below. My question is if you put the "in" black and red wire into the place of the "out" black and red wire, will there be a problem?[​IMG][​IMG]

Top picture is one I found on internet and the one below is one I edited : https://pasteboard.co/Jt0MbdI.png

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Flakes

Flakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Also second quick question; the lamp neutral and live wire has to be looped (or does it?) around those plastic tags, and so for me I had to push them to fit in place a bit and so I noticed it sort of scratched the sheathing. Is this a problem?
    https://pasteboard.co/Jt0Q2k7.png

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In and out are interchangeable. It makes no difference, how could it?
    The cable you cannot swop around is the switch cable.

Yes you must loop the wires round the hooks. They stop the weight of the lamp pulling the wires out of the screw terminals. If they too short, trim the sheathing back a TINY bit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you have skagged it, I wouldn't worry too much. (as long as its not close to another wire)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Flakes

Flakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Okay thanks all
    No I won't get the switch cable wrong and I'll double check with a multimeter to confirm.
    The only reason the lamp wires are too big for the hooks is because I thought id just swap over the old lamp with a new lamp. So what I mean is I bought a pendant (6") and unscrewed it from the terminal and then rescrewed the Neutral and live wire into the pre-existing ceiling rose. This is allowed right ?

7. Flakes

Flakes

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anyway so what i thought I would trim a tiny bit of the hook off, so that it would not be such a tight fit

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links