Basin washer replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to replace the washers in the bathroom sink / basin tap.

I assume now I need to undo this part to then undo the brass object which has the washer on it.

Only problem is that it’s so tight it’s going to mark the chrome.

Any advise please.
Normally I would expect a section which has a flat edge but this is completely round.

Attachments

• 3E76C583-D639-4BE7-9493-BF15AB069E31.jpeg
    3E76C583-D639-4BE7-9493-BF15AB069E31.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
1. Yes, remove the round chromed shroud.
2. If its tight, try using something like a "Boa" rubber strap wrench, or rubber gloves.
3. If it still won't come off, try pouring a kettle of very hot water over it, then tray again as quickly as possible, but don't burn yourself.
4. Judging by the other one, those are quarter turn taps. They don't have washers, they have ceramic disc cartridges. There are hundreds of different sorts, so you will need a good plumber's merchants to find the right ones. Take the old cartridge and the handle so they can try the handle on the splines of the new insert(s).
5. The hot and cold are probably different, as they turn different ways for on and off. Some are reversible to serve hot or cold.
6. You may well find it easier, and possibly cheaper, to change the taps.

Sponsored Links
Try wrapping a couple of rubber bands around the shroud to give a better grip. Usually able to loosen by hand if you can get enough friction. If it needs a pair of grips, the rubber provides some protection for the chrome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back