basin waste leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a new basin with popup waste and monobloc mixer tap.

Before attaching the basin to the wall and pedestal I fitted the waste section as it gave much more room to fit it off situ. I used a little silicon as well.the waste section has a foam washer that was fitted then underneath a rubber washer went between the basin and the waste base.

suffice to say it leaked!

of course now the basin is attached to the wall along with silicon so I cannot remove it now (the basin).

Should I use silicon between the washers topside and underside? secondly because its a popup waste it has the rod patruding from the waste base how do I tighten it sufficiently but allowing the rod to be in the right place? I am sure you guys have a tip for this. do I screw from the top which seams unrealistic.

regards in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
First the popup mechanism won't leak if done up by hand - assuming you can reach the knurled knob.

You WILL be able to reach the knurled knob easily because you have to take the basin out again! Those waste nuts ALWAYS leak unless you know about them. The problem is that there's nothing at all to seal between the waste's outer thread and the nut/washer. You just have to put a load of silicone over it before you do it up. You can get special washers which compress a lot, but too late now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back