Bath 1700mm, Wall to Wall 1750mm, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me here.
My wife and I are looking at replacing our bathroom suite. I'm a fairly dab hand and I am looking forward to doing the job, including the tiling, which brings me to one question I can't get my head around...

Our current suite was installed by the previous house owner. Measuring from tiled wall to tiled wall is 1750mm. The current bath was fitted to one end and 'boarded in' at the other to make up for the 50mm.
I don't like it. I would like to centralise the new bath.
Assuming once I pull all the existing tiles off and replace them, and there is still a 50mm gap, that would leave 25mm on either side of the bath. I will be using bath sealing strip the whole way around. But what to I do to finish off the gaps nicely on either end?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Honestly - stay well away from sealing strips. they rarely work and often discolour or collect dirt. they are a very quick way to may your new room look awful in a year or so.

I'd suggest the boarded out solution is the correct one. silicone the bath in, then tile over it.

Could you board out the entire wall? If there is an external wall involved then you could take the opportunity to fit insulation.

Sponsored Links
sealing strips are the work of the devil!

Everytime I see them i expect an Amateurs wokmanship and contrary to their name they do not give a very good water tight seal. Silicone is the best way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back