Bath / drain issue

G

Greenbrigade

Hi, we have a first floor bathroom and are in the process of having a cracked drain replaced. We have just run a bath and the bathwater from the drainpipe is overflowing the drain and going everywhere. When we run a shower it's fine. How can we avoid or fix this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
I suspect you've got a blockage somewhere in the drain. When you run a shower, you're getting maybe 9 litres per minute down the drain, but this'll be far greater when you empty the bath,

Hi, thanks for responding I've possibly not explained this well enough

When we have a shower the water runs down the drainpipe and into the hopper

When we have a bath the water shoots out of the drainpipe and misses the hopper. Do we need to look at a bigger hopper, a different location for it, or is there some way to slow the rate that bathwater comes down the drainpipe?

Is the hopper and soil system it drains into, the part that is new?

If so get the drainage guys to look at it. Could be as simple as extending the soil into the hopper.

Sponsored Links
You need to reroute the downpipe, various options. Either take it down through the grid, swap that gulley for a 'bottle gulley' and connect via the back inlet, or even better, do away with the hopper head and downpipe arrangement and take the waste pipes straight into the stack.

Looking back at the picture, I suspect the drainpipe needs to be a little lower, and more into the centre of the grating.

If you look at the hopper grate it will have a circle design shaped into it, this is the area where you can cut a circle out for a downpipe to fit into it, keeping the strength in the grate, then pop an extension on the downpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back