Floor drain plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to do the plumbing on a new bathroom I'm building on suspended wooden floors. The bath is non-standard size and I'm looking to put in a separately-plumbed bath plug-hole, overflow and a shower drain. I'm okay with the water going in, but need some advice for waste water.

So far I've got some push-fit 40mm pipe, a push-fit trap, and a shower drain that I'm planning on using for the floor. I can't figure out how to connect the shower drain (metal, threaded, maybe 40mm) to 40mm plastic piping. Can someone advise?

Also, where would be the best place to connect the bath overflow to? It'd be too hard to connect to the bath waste above the trap, so should it go to the floor drain above the trap?

Thanks in advance! :D

Sponsored Links
reece-o said:
I can't figure out how to connect the shower drain (metal, threaded, maybe 40mm) to 40mm plastic piping. Can someone advise?
You need a bath waste kit and a bath trap. These two will mate and the trap outlet will fit around 40mm pipe with a plastic compression type of fitting.

Also, where would be the best place to connect the bath overflow to?
To the inlet on the waste that comes with the kit.

It'd be too hard to connect to the bath waste above the trap
Eh? Why? :confused:

...so should it go to the floor drain above the trap?
Eh? :confused:

That would be a great idea, but I've got a very large bath with maybe 80cm between the overflow and the waste hole. So I wouldn't be able to get a standard overflow and waste unit on it. Is there somewhere to get larger ones?

About a floor drain - I was going to make it with a shower drain embedded in floor tiles. Is there anything I should think about? Do I need to put a lining around the hole in the floor or anything?

When connecting the drain to the plastic compression fittings, do I need to stick some glue or sealant in there or something, to stop water seeping out between the threads?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
That would be a great idea, but I've got a very large bath with maybe 80cm between the overflow and the waste hole. So I wouldn't be able to get a standard overflow and waste unit on it. Is there somewhere to get larger ones?
Oh I see.

I don't know if longer ones are sold. If not then buy two kits and make one long one out of two standard ones. If you can't do that then let me know and I'll make one for you.

About a floor drain - I was going to make it with a shower drain embedded in floor tiles. Is there anything I should think about?Do I need to put a lining around the hole in the floor or anything?
It's been a long time since I've done one and can't remember, but the instructions that come with the floor drain will tell you.

When connecting the drain to the plastic compression fittings, do I need to stick some glue or sealant in there or something, to stop water seeping out between the threads?
Absolutely not. The threads are not involved in making a water seal - that's not how a compression fitting works. Just buy a good quality trap (like McAlpine) and good quality 40mm pipe (like Marley, or Brett Martin) and you won't have a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back