Bath drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am not a plumber or someone that can install baths. I currently have a bath that's installed, however it seems to drop a lot. It's pulled the silicon away from the tiles as well as some tiles loose.

From what I see, it pulls down but slightly away from the wall as well.

Can I lift it whilst adding battons under the feet?
Also can I add a frame to the wall edge? - or will this damage the edge of the tub?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the bath needs to be taken out and refitted.
Is it acrylic ?
Some pics of the baths feet / flooring would be helpful.

Please don't say that. Sounds like a right faff.
Do you think if I tightened the feet up that may help?

I did notice the foot closest to the camera at the drain seemed loose. So raised that and tightened it up.

Would shortening the leg by placing a piece of wood under each leg help?

Attachments

• 20220919_102651.jpg
    20220919_102651.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220919_102656.jpg
    20220919_102656.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 49
Your bath should have brackets, fitted to the timbers that run under the bath rim, that are screwed to the wall. They would be far left,and far right near the corners.
Fitting a length of timber batten to the wall ,to support the Length of the bath rim is also often recommended in bath manufacturers installation instructions.
Adding timbers to the floor for the feet to sit on ,and be screwed down, may improve the stability , particularly when the flooring is weak.

Sponsored Links
Your main problem is, if it's acrylic, is when the weight is placed into the bath, the bath itself will splay and pull down, rather than the actual feet are moving. There's not a lot you can do about that. Does it move along the length of the back edge, or is it more so the corners, short edges?

You may be able to wedge batons along the back edge down onto the floor and attach batons to the wall under the short edges to add support.

It's the long back edge that's the only problem, only towards the front of the bath.

I did consider putting a batten up then jamming some up rights to prop it up. Might give it a shot tomorrow. Only problem is reaching those bits

The loose tiles are the first issue to sort. Then allow the bath to flex and drop and then fill that space with silicone to allow that to be sealed up, then shore up the edges that need it.

You do also get brackets that can be retrofitted, that will support the edges, if you can get them fitted to the wall properly, or just make up wooden batons.

Plan was to silicon the loose tiles.
Fill tub with cold water. Silicon.
Empty
Then batten.
.specifically in that order lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back