Bath drops when full

I would be tempted to remove and replace the chipboard floor at this stage, with something more appropriate. Then tackle the bath.

Sponsored Links
Visited a local bathroom showroom today and as soon as I told them the size I'm after they were only able to show be one option on display although it was 1680 rather than 1670 so looks like it'll have to be sunk into the wall again but not quite as much as the 1700mm that I already have.

Pretty certain it was an 8mm Carronite but wondered if it's only Carron that make these or doe other manufacturers make Carronite baths?

When it comes to installing, is it best to put a bead of sealant on the bath to the wall or just rely on the seal between the tiles and bath?

Sponsored Links
That was my thinking which is why I'm keen to remove the existing bath and repair the walls but starting to feel that my options are limited when searching for a 1670mm Carronite bath.
Worst case is that I still sink the ends and then seal the longer side to the wall.

Are carronite baths only made by Carron or are there other manufacturers that make carronite baths?
There seems to be quite a few coming up in search results but curious as to whether they are carronite if Carron hold a copyright?

Carronite is (of course) made by Carron. See their website.

There is at least one other brand that a helpful poster told me about when I was looking, but I can't remember now.

Thanks for all the info and advice so far.
Looks like I'm probably going to go for an Ideal Standard Admiral Idealform plus which comes in at 1675 x 690 so perfect for the gap once i've removed the 1700mm bath and repaired the walls.
This will also save me having to disturb the flooring which is tiled just beyond the edge of the existing bath which is 700mm

Its no big deal that the walls are undercut to accept the bath.

In fact its a reasonable way to even out walls that aren't straight. i.e. if the walls arent straight you would have a larger gap to seal at one end of the bath than the other. Undercutting gets round this.

Walls are never straight! I blame the plasterers.

I'm not preciousn about undercutting into the wall if necessary but figured if I can get the right size bath then it gives me another surface to secure and seal the bath which is the most important thing for me with a 3 year old toddler that likes to splash.

I have finally taken delivery of an ideal standard idealform bath which is 1670 so will fit in the gap perfectly once I've removed the old bath and repaired the walls.

I plan to screw some batons to the wall to support the bath but my question now is what is the best way to fix the wood to the walls?

The walls are constructed using plasterboard and aluminium studs so not sure this is as strong as timber studs?

I would leave the silly floor and place a single bath sized piece of 18 mm WPB ply which I would paint first to make it water proof first.

I would then expect the bath would hardly depress more that silicone can flex. But even so I would still fit a baton on the walls.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back