Extra support for steel bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new steel bath installed but despite the description saying it is the same thickness as the old one it seems to flex a tiny bit when I stand in it. I'm wondering if I should find a way to add a bit of support in the middle, but the plumbing under it is somewhat complicated.

I swapped the ends around so that the tap and shower head are on the opposite wall to where the drain exits the building, so I have a trap that sits below the level of the floorboards. I also have this condensate pipe running from the boiler in the attic. There isn't any way to put another set of legs under there.

Would something like an adjustable cabinet leg with a bit of wood on top work to give it a little more support? I could probably manoeuvre that in there.

IMG20230719201743~(1).jpg
IMG20230719201707~(1).jpg

Sponsored Links
That's a bit of a strange setup, would never have considered to have a condensate pipe on the same outlfow as a bath, there is a risk of syphoning when a full bath is draining, unless there is an air break further upstream.

That is quite strange, where does it flex? Having a baton on the wall's long and short edges may help.

It's all a bit of a kludge to compensate for the placement of the boiler in the attic versus the soil stack. The boiler installer didn't want to cut a hole in the roof to reach it and I didn't want to have to wrap pipes around the outside of the house. Also the soil stack is cast iron and I think there was some concern about acidic condensate causing issues. The idea though was that the water going down the drain from the bath would help flush and dilute everything.

It just feels a little flexy on the bottom. I suspect it is because I am not exactly a lightweight person and it is a cheap bath.

So that conden. pipe being part of the flue - does that mean the bath waste becomes part of the flue too ? Would you get P.O.C back through that shallow seal trap ?

Sponsored Links
I put batons along the walls to give better support to the bath, as well as building a frame at the front which is then covered by the bath panel.

So that conden. pipe being part of the flue - does that mean the bath waste becomes part of the flue too ? Would you get P.O.C back through that shallow seal trap ?
I misspoke, so to speak, earlier -- my house has an older setup, apparently, so grey water including anything from the condensate goes out into the drain rather than the soil stack. I've never had any issues with it backing up and the two have been connected for several years now.

I put batons along the walls to give better support to the bath, as well as building a frame at the front which is then covered by the bath panel.
I don't think the installer put any batons up on the wall but I will have to check. I suppose that in the worst case scenario I'll have to pull out the bath and reinstall it. It seems to be a bit shorter than the old one so it's not as easy to access underneath it.

If you haven't tiled yet, I recommend doing that.
You'll find it beneficial for many years to come.

If it's just a little flex in the base and the sides are stable and don't move then a frame won't really help. You're up against thinner gauge steel really and without adding in another couple of belly support leg sections, the same as is there at the moment, then there's not a lot you can do really.

If the whole bath is flexing and you can see movement in the sides etc then framing should stabilise and cure that.

As you suggest, if it's at the cheaper end of the scale and you are a person of greater substance then you may find a little flexi in the base due to the narrower gauge steel.

If the stack is cast, as long as it is an active stack with water running through it regularly then the condensate shouldn't have much impact. I kinda see the logic and having a condi pipe saddled into a waste pipe isn't new but of all waste pipes not to have it on though, given the volume of water when a bath empties, it would be a bath waste.

Couldn't you knock up a sturdy wooden support with legs either side of the pipes? If there's no room to manoeuvre such a thing into place once made up, make it in kit form with pegs or short screws on top of the legs to locate into holes in the centre (top) piece. If the legs are made from something like short lengths of 100x100mm fence post, they would sit nicely on the floor.

While I'm on...battens, not batons.

While I'm on...battens, not batons.
Stupid autocorrect.

I think I'll just have to leave it unless it starts moving. I have stood in it and carefully checked the sides and it doesn't seem to be moving there, I just feel like the bottom moves a bit. Might be tricky to access to put a frame in the back but I'll ponder it.

I misspoke, so to speak, earlier -- my house has an older setup, apparently, so grey water including anything from the condensate goes out into the drain rather than the soil stack. I've never had any issues with it backing up and the two have been connected for several years now.

Are you sure it's not the whole bath moving, rather than just the middle, due to the floorboards flexing under the weight?

Grey water shouldn't normally be disposed of down rain water pipes (if that is what you are saying), it should go into the soil stack, because it is polluted water.

Space under there for another 1 of the same support that it already has, in the middle, if you feel it's just the base flexing.

Blimey!
Never seen a steel bath flex at the base.
What brand is it?
Alas the cheap orchard brand from Victoria Plum. I was having trouble finding a steel bath that would fit at the time I was buying supplies. The Roca one I wanted kept going out of stock or was only available with grab handles, which I didn't like.

I have stood in it for several days now and it doesn't seem to be moving away from the wall at all so maybe I am just being paranoid. It just feels slightly bendy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back