Bath Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a bath in the area in the photo. The area is 2.75m wide and has a sloped roof above with a velux window in it. There is an eaves door, a socket and a radiator behind where the bath will be. I won't be installing a toilet.

I'm considering either a free standing bath or a normal bath which would then be completely boxed in (wall to wall) and tiled. Some thoughts are:

Socket - Either way the socket has to go. Not a problem as the cable is accessible from within the eaves.

Radiator - With a free standing bath it could stay there and paint or replace it. With the boxing-in option I think I'd have to move the radiator to the other side of the room as the existing rad would be inside the boxing.

Eaves Door - With a free standing bath I could paint or replace it. With the boxing-in option the door would no longer be accessible but that's OK as their aare other eaves doors.

Plumbing - The airing cupboard is through the stud wall on the left and has several options for hot and cold supply.

Floor - It's those awful 2400mm T&G chipboards that are impossible to get up because they go under the walls. With a free standing bath the pipe work will need to go under the floor so it'll be pain. With the boxing-in option the waste and water pipes will be hidden by the boxing.

Waste - The soil pipe is on the other side of the airing cupboard so in either option I should be able to take the waste through the airing cupboard and then outside to the soil pipe.

Pumps - There are 2 shower pumps in the airing cupboard. Each supplies it's own mixer shower (one upstairs one downstairs). Is it OK to tee off from an existing pump to feed the bath? The water pressure will not be sufficient otherwise.

Ventilation - There's a window right there. Can easily fit an extractor if needed.

Window - Is a window over a bath OK? Any rules around this?

Weight - A bath full of water is pretty heavy. Any rules around this or checks that need to be made to ensure the bath doesn't end up downstairs...?

Any suggestions or other things I need to factor in?

IMG_1132.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The joists look good. No holes have been drilled because all the plumbing and electrics are in the eaves. Also there's a load bearing wall below where the bath will be.

Regarding the hot and cold feeds, as mentioned there are 2 shower pumps in the airing cupboard. Each supplies it's own mixer shower (one upstairs one downstairs). Is it correct to say I must tee off the pump that currently supplies the upstairs shower (negative head?) and not use the pump that supplies the downstairs shower (positive head)?

Shall I post details of the show pumps?

Sponsored Links
With a free standing bath the pipe work will need to go under the floor so it'll be pain.

If there is enough head room you could consider putting a free standing bath on a 4 inch high plinth with the pipe work installed above the floor but under the plinth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back