Bath legs short

The main support for the bath is the 3/4 chip board that moulded into the base of the bath that the brackets screw directly into.
The wooden blocks /frame the black supports screw into usually just split anyway and definitely wouldn't support the weight of a bath full of water with a person sat in as well.

Sponsored Links
Let me get this straight, the consensus is that bath cradles are supplied correctly with side supports and plastic ends that don't reach up to batons built into the bath edge?? Ah ok, ... they're just supplied like that as an extra cost to the supplier just for the look and the extra cost for the metal and plastic that is otherwise completely useless?? That coupled to a design that has no vertical strength in it unless it locates at the top.

They are integral to the strength of the cradle, though they're not designed to take the main weight, that's through the bottom legs of course, they are designed to stop the bottom hoops, where the legs are located from splaying outwards/upwards and also add support to the top edges from flexing down when any weight is placed upon it. These are usually used with thinner acrylic baths that have more flex, the thicker ones usually only have free standing lower bracket frames.

According to the 1st picture the OP supplied, it's seems they're short by 20odd mill when the side support is located into the plastic support, hence his question... Or is it my eyes?

Oh and yeah 1 or 2 in 14 years thanx ... though I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Sponsored Links
Madrab they are short thats how they come. The plastic ends slide towards the wooden batten where they are fixed with two screws, you then use the self tappers supplied to fix through the plastic ends into the steel to locate.
I also fix a batten around the 3 sides of the wall underneath the lip of the bath. Buy that is belt and braces.

Thank you all for all these advices. I think the plastic edge is too weak to support the weight and are only meant to prevent the legs from moving. Hence it does not matter if they are a bit short. The plastic support dis 10 cm and will more than cover the gaps.

Good idea Norton, I'll get some batten too. What do you mean by belt and braces?

Just an old saying, means doing a bit more than required.
e.g your not gonna need both a belt and a pair of braces to hold your pants up.....
i think thats what it means, my old man says it!

Thanks for that lesson Norton, I'm well aware how these cradles work. I was under the impression that Nish already had the plastic ends at the end of the metal supports and they were still to short?? Or is that too much of an assumption??

Nish, can you loosen the screw and slide the plastic supports down onto the bath edge then re-tighten them onto the metal support, if so I'm happy to concede that I assumed too much and that it had already been done.

Haven't fitted a bath with cradle legs for years now.
I don't do many bathrooms but I when I do I fit carronite baths

e.g your not gonna need both a belt and a pair of braces to hold your pants up.....

When fixing anything I was always told " you need a belt and braces, and a bit of string to be sure it is secure" ;)

When fixing anything I was always told " you need a belt and braces, and a bit of string to be sure it is secure" ;)
Never heard that the next apprentice is going have to use a bit of string as well now.

I have learnt more than just how to deal with short legs today!

Thanks you all guys, have a great Easter Monday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back