Bath Panel trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had an MDF beech effect bath panel fitted for around 2 years now and slowly the laminate has started to peel off the MDF all over the panel, i think from water getting in at the edges,
panel1.jpg

We have bought a replacement one but would like to know if anything can be done to counteract this, maybe coating the panel in a pva based application similar to what is done to plasterboard in a bathroom enviroment, any help/advice would be very much appreciated ;)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately MDF has properties not dissimilar from those of blotting paper. The photograph you posted seems to show what we call a "foil-wrapped" MDF piece - in other words a piece of MDF wrapped with a thin layer of printed paper and clear plastic (the "foil" part). The only thing I can advise is to wipe it dry after you've had a bath, don't let water pool around it and ventilate the room properly after use.

If you coat this with anything solvent based, such as a lacquer or varnish it will in all probability either not adhere to the foil or worse the solvents will attack the foil and the surface coating will fail prematurely. Most PVAs are not completely clear when dried and will reactivate in prolonged contact with water and so are completely useless as a sealing medium against water ingress.

I've made veneered MDF bath panels in the past, however they have solid wood lippings and get protected by 3 to 4 coats of AC lacquer, so I'm reasonably confident that they'll last 5 to 10 years. I doubt that they'll be around in 20 years though because bathrooms are normally so damp. MDF is a wonderful material, but I sometimes think the big DIY centres are pushing the envelope a bit.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back