Bath Panel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking for a new bath panel, nothing fancy but we would prefer a tongue and groove look, so therefore its more than likely to be made from MDF.

What do you expert chaps recommend, Many reviews of the B&Q ones, claim that water/moisture damaged them very quickly, So in order to get some sort of longevity, what should we be looking for in a panel ?

Sponsored Links
I make my own, with a softwood frame to size, and T&G cladding.....a bit more durable than MDF which will need utmost care!
John :)

I read that T&G would likely move as the temperature and humidity changes in the room, has that been an issue for you before?

With the panels I've made (a grand total of 4 :p ) the T&G was fine and stable - but I did spend some time with the varnish and priming!
I nailed through the tongues so no nails were visible.
MDF would probably be ok, but not if there were kids or whatever splashing water around.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I did more or less the same as John. Softwood frame to size. I think I just used dowels to make the frame. T & G for the panels. Again no problem with it. Stained and varnished to suit.

I fitted a very expensive mdf bath panel, no cuts were made or screws used but it started to deteriorate after just a few week. :eek:

I've used ply as a backer board and T&G cladding on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back