Fitting a bath panel - please help with some advice if poss!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am hoping to get a wooden or MDF white tongue and groove type bath panel. The bath I'll be fitting it to used to have one of those flimsy plastic convex type of panels......

I don't know if this will be a problem or not (you'll probably guess I've never fitted one of these before!)..... but there's a main lip and then on the inside there's a strip of metal running parallel to the lip for the length of the bath - with a small gap between the two. Pictures speak a thousand words, so there's a few attached....

If anyone can put me on the straight and narrow I'd hugely appreciate it.

Cheers

Max

These are taking from the floor looking up to the lip......

Sponsored Links
choices you have is txg on batons to make a panel that removes complete
or batons top and bottom to glue/no nails/secret nail onto with a removable panel wide enough to allow accesses

ok you cut your planks to length if your bath/floor is level they will all be the same measurement
to make them into a removable panel you need to secure the txg cladding to a couple off battons this is assuming you constructing from 3.5" wide planks
or you can use 6mm water resistant mdf
this sort off thing without backing battons
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1294697946137&isSearch=true

Sponsored Links
no no my fault entirely :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
although a link would have stopped me going off on a tangent :eek: :eek:

yes they will fit no probs you only need to check theres only perhaps 20mm difference in height unless the top off the panel can be trimmed to any length

Apologies for not being clearer mate!

My main concern is that because the metal lip is there on the inside, and because of the two metal supports (i.e. the vertical bits in the first pic) a ready made panel won't fit. I was presuming that the top of the panel should kind of go up and into the bath......so that the outer edge of the bath itself is actually coming over the panel a little. Is that what I should be aiming for? If so, I'm worried that the metal strip and the vertical supports will get in the way...

Am I over thinking all this?

Thanks a million once again for the great help.

You can always make a frame & fit the panels using mirror head screws

i personally would either remove material so the boards sit in the groove or add a bit off ply to the back to slot into the groove by around 15mm i would also cut the bottom edge 18mm short to give clearance screw into place with 2 screws then fit 4"[95mm] skirting with several screws with caps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back