Bath - securing to wall trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (2nd problem) I'd like to ask for help with if I may?

I am fitting a new bathroom suite in our house. Basin and Toiler are both in, but the bath is a bit tricky. I have dressed it up, taps, waste/overflow all in, but securing the bath to the wall is seeming tricky. The feet are all made up ok, I have 3 brackets with the bath but I am having trouble securing them to the wall - I have marked the holes and drilled/plugged them but getting the brackets secured to the wall is hard as the space is so tight and I can't get to them.... have I missed a trick here?

My lady is doing the tiling :) and I am left with the bath to finish hopefully by the end of tonight, but as having trouble here :oops:

The bath is steel, I have a plank of wood under the front and bakc 2 feet for extra support but cannot get to the brackets to screw/secure them to the wall :(

Sponsored Links
Hi Steven. I don't know if this is of any help but I remember my stupid ex boyfriend trying to act all clever and put a bathroom in. He seemed to have the same problem as you until I suggested to him the he put the brackets the other way up and screw them into the wall from above the bath edge instead of trying to get under the bath with a stubby little screwdriver a bit like his stubby little thingy. I took being dumped by him well LOL

After the usual argument, he found out that I was right LOL

Fit the clips to the wall, then drop the tub over the clips. That's one reason for installing the tub before tiling, so you have room to lift the tub over the clips.

Where possible I like to firmly fix a batten to the wall for the full length of the lip of the tub to rest on before installing the bath.

Offer up bath to wall, level it and mark the height of the underside of the lip on the wall. Remove the tub to fit the batten.

I add some cleats to the batten to stop the bath moving away from the wall, screw through the rail into the timber inside the lip of the tub (if so equipped), or 'glue' it to the batten with a good bead of sealant. Level up the tub, fill it with water, re-check the level, and leave it full of water until the sealant has cured.

'Glueing' the tub to the wall with sealant can help too.

IMO making the tub installation as rigid as possible is the best way to avoid the final bead of sealant between the tub and tiles failing prematurely.

Sponsored Links
Hi peeps

By the sound of it these brackets are different to the ones I was talking about and now I look silly :oops: :oops:

At least I tried

Jx

At least I tried

Jx

smilie_thinking.gif

I like to go overboard when fitting a bath, like TicklyT I secure a batton to the wall and sit the bath on top, and use a generous amount of good quality silicone on the edge and squeeze it against the wall to provide the main seal if you like, the 'secondry' seal goes againt the tiles (always tile after fitting the bath!)

Then I put 2x2 uprights on the front corners so it cannot move when people sit on the edge. I clamp the bath to the wall using two wooden cut offs screwed to the back horizontal batton and against the underside rim of the bath, this pushes the bath agaist the wall.

The most imprtant thing before you do any of this is to offer the bath panel up first and set the height, otherwise you'll come to fit it and you'll either have to cut loads off including the return lip or you'lll have a big gap.

Hope this helps. ;)

Hi Steven. I don't know if this is of any help but I remember my stupid ex boyfriend trying to act all clever and put a bathroom in. He seemed to have the same problem as you until I suggested to him the he put the brackets the other way up and screw them into the wall from above the bath edge instead of trying to get under the bath with a stubby little screwdriver a bit like his stubby little thingy. I took being dumped by him well LOL

After the usual argument, he found out that I was right LOL

I dont know?......they are probably the ones, baths come with either two or three L shaped brackets that go behind the tiles on the top, some people get mixed up and put them on the other way. :idea:

They never really secure a bath properly on their own, most manufacturers recomend battons aswell though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back