Securing a steel bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fitting a new steel bath, but need some advice on how best to secure it, i.e. make it less wobbly :)

1. It has *one* welded-on 'lug' on each side (at opposite end from taps), as shown in the first picture here.
Assuming these are typically found on steel baths, is the one at the wall side intended to be used for securing to the wall? If so, it is not long enough to reach the wall (only bends to about 2cm from wall), so I can't see how it would work unless I fit a strip of wood to the wall first :confused:

2. The feet are shown in the 2nd picture. Unlike the acrylic bath which I'm replacing, there are no screw holes in the feet to screw them to the floor.

The result is a bath which is level and fairly snug, but clearly there is a slight wobble when I rock it. Without doing something to secure it further, I'm going to end up using a tupe of silicon every week, so what's the best way forward?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

OK, even thought I searched before posting, I've just found this post. Do I have to build a frame, and if so, what on earth are the bits in the first picture for?

Sponsored Links
Use lumps of 4 x 2 so you can screw in those long feet.
Grip-fil, or similar, the thing to the wall(s), and use a couple of simple clamps thus:
Toclampabathtoawall.gif

Fill it with water while the goo sets.
Oh and the bits in the first picture are for earth bondng the bath!!

Thanks Chris for the lightning fast reply!

The clamps look like a good idea, but as for the feet, it's not possible to screw them down as there aren't holes in them (they're steel).

I know - put wood blocks UNDER the feet so the studding sticks out less from the frame they go through, and use a locknut.
bathfoot.jpg

Sponsored Links
measure the bath panel ..... 520 mm usually...
place a batton on the wall at this height to were the bath is fitted .. 2x1 ..
level the bath and silicon the back lip of the bath ...
also place 3x2 on the floor below the feet this will shorten the threads there fore making it more stable...
the tabs are for earth bonds .. not fixings ..

Not advisable to stand the feet on chipboard - use a decent bit of timber (as suggested above) running across a couple of joists - then if the chipboard floor gets wet there is less chance of the bath feet going through it!

DIY_Dean said:
Softus, do you mean they aren't earth bonds?
That's not what I meant - ChrisR referred to a "first picture", but there's only one picture between the start of the topic and those words that he used, so I was, and still am, confused by the reference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back