Bath tap pipe sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just bought an house and at some point the bath has been removed and replaced with a shower ,there is still enough room for a bath so I'm putting one back in ,do both hot and cold bath tap pipes need to be done in 22mm as at the moment the cold feeding the shower is 15mm and the hot feeding the shower is 22mm with a reducer down to 15 mm ,my plan is to take a feed off them as they was originally the bath supply , but not sure if just the hot should be 22mm or the cold too....thanks for any information

Sponsored Links
All depends if they are mains (combi boiler/unvented HW) or gravity (Big tank in the loft and hw cylinder below). The norm for gravity would be 22mm to the taps for a gravity fed system but either can be used for mains fed

Sponsored Links
In old imperial copper sizes what was normaly fitted in domestic houses compared with modern 15mm n 22 mm sizes of today, the copper seems thicker too n more sturdy

If you have imperial sized pipework, you can generally get away with transition to 15mm using the metric fittings.

But 3/4" to 22mm is best done by the correct coupling reducer.
And this will then need reducing to 15mm.

Or alternatively a 15mm to 3/4" reducer.

If you have imperial sized pipework, you can generally get away with transition to 15mm using the metric fittings.

But 3/4" to 22mm is best done by the correct coupling reducer.
And this will then need reducing to 15mm.

Or alternatively a 15mm to 3/4" reducer.
House was built in 1950s n pipe work looks pretty much untouched until shower was added so guessing it's imperial up to that point

House was built in 1950s n pipe work looks pretty much untouched until shower was added so guessing it's imperial up to that point
Most certainly will be imperial sizes, as per previous post you will need the imperial to metric reducers for the 3/4" pipe, they do do a 1/2" to 15mm but normally the metric couplers are fine to use.

You can use an imperial olive in a normal 22mm fitting if you prefer.

hi bath fitting when ok but now I've noticed a pin head size drip appear on the 3/4 to 15mm reducer, looks like is failing on the soldering, is there such thing as a speed fit reducer rather than having to solder new joint as don't fancy taking bath bath back out, if so I'd cut back the 3/4 pipe above reducer and connect new 15 mm to it with the speed fit reducer if it exists, looks like it's been a leak a while as water was off when moved in plus now insulation is damp.. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back