Bath Waste Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new bathroom suite and after testing for leaks numerous times ( and finding none ) I eventually boxed in the bath. The waste is an all plastic integrated popup waste as per

http://www.victoriaplumb.com/Bathro...ttings/Bath-Wastes/Bath-Pop-Up-Waste_167.html

I have now found a small leak and obviously need to fix it. My first thought was to tighten the slotted hex nut fixing the popup plug to the back-panel/section, to ensure no leaks through the seals.

I initially tightened the sections using a flat blade screw driver but I have since tightened it about an extra 1.5 turns using a socket set. A bead of silicone was also applied to both upper and lower rubber seals before installation.

As it is an acrylic bath I am worried about applying too much torque and splitting the bath, so my questions is:

Is there a max torque setting when tightening the waste?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think I've figured out where the leak is coming from and I just need some quick advice with regards to compression fittings.

The leak appears to be coming from the compression fitting connecting the waste's screwed thread to the trap. I've tightened the fitting as much as physically possible, but the top of the compression fitting nut is now touching the mechanism on the waste that houses the integrated popup plug-control and overflow connection, thus preventing further tightening, and making extra compression of the rubber washer impossible.

I'm going to add more ptfe tape to the threads just to be sure. But my main question(s) are:

Can I simply swap in a thicker rubber washer to make the seal?
Can I use multiple washers (or will they twist and leak?)
Or use a tapered washer?
Are 'low-profile' nuts available? If not, is it possible to 'trim' a few mm from the top of the existing nut and maintain its integrity?

Thanks

Dont put ptfe on the thread.

You've probably overtightened it. It doesn't need to be rivven up.

What make of trap did you use? If its a cheapy, throw it away and buy a Mcalpine one. Ensure its sitting square in the waste outlet and tighten up. The nut should wind on smoothly.

HTH.

The trap is as per the link to victoria plumbing above, so hopefully it's not cr@p. Plus the bath is all fixed in place now so I'm reluctant to rip it out in order to put a new waste in, especially given the absolute farce and numerous disasters I had installing it in the first place...

I believe I need to make a better seal between the threaded part of the waste and the bath trap, but due to the size of the knurled hand tightened nut on the trap, the top of the nut is hitting the waste's integrated overflow connection/mechanism before the join is tight. I think this is preventing the o-ring from creating a proper seal as the top of the nut is effectively running out of thread on the waste before the o-ring can be compressed enough.

I've bought a new bath trap instead of re-using the old one, and I'm going to try doubling up on the o-rings, to effectivley give me a couple of mm of extra thread.

Thanks for your advice wrt ptfe tape. And if it all goes wrong again, I'll just call a plumber as I'm clearly not cut out for this malarky :)

Sponsored Links
I fitted a Victoria Plumb bath with one of these pop up wastes the other day. If you use a Mcalpine bath trap you'll be fine. They are the best IMO.

Just make sure when you put it all together that its seated correctly on the waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back