Bath waste & overflow help req'd for acrylic tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need a waste and overflow for this freestanding acrylic bathtub I have recently acquired.

The overflow is my area of concern as its about 13mm thick 'sandwich' type construction so the overflow needs to be fully sealed all the way through the hole. Both the random overflows I currently have seal on the front and back but would allow water to get down into laminations.

Any help appreciated! Thank you in advance

IMG_20220116_233356_edit_1633172134435170.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would seal that up using varnish, glue, silicone etc then a normal overflow would be used with the seal at the front/back. That's poor quality TBH, that should really be sealed by the manu if they cored it.

If there's a seal at the front then that should stop water getting to that part anyway.

The bath was 2nd hand, perhaps it was sealed originally but the previous owners cored the hole bigger? It is 50mm, which seems large for an overflow.

I could seal it up with whatever but I'd rather find something that's sealed all the way through. I don't want water getting into the structure of the tub obviously!

The bath was 2nd hand, perhaps it was sealed originally but the previous owners cored the hole bigger? It is 50mm, which seems large for an overflow.

I could seal it up with whatever but I'd rather find something that's sealed all the way through. I don't want water getting into the structure of the tub obviously!
You are missing the point - seal the bare wood area first, then if sealed front and rear no water can get in to the structure of the tub!

Sponsored Links
You are missing the point - seal the bare wood area first, then if sealed front and rear no water can get in to the structure of the tub!
How am I missing the point? I said ’I could seal it up', but I'd rather have something that's one piece rather than sealing against either side of the surfaces

Any plumbing part that goes through a surface is sealed on both sides unless perhaps it is threaded and therefore as it is tightened pressure is applied.

It wouldn't matter, if there is a seal on the inside of bath face of the overflow, then no water would escape past the edges and into that gap, it would all flow down the overflow. Invariably though bath overflows only have a seal that's meant to sit on the back side and they screw on from the front.

Doesn't mean to say that you couldn't get another seal or use some silicone to seal up the front face so the water wouldn't get into that gap.

Whilst I may end up gobbing a load of silicone or whatever to seal inside, it feels like a bodge. Surely there is something on the market that threads all the way through & I could then seal the threads?

I'll keep looking, but technical information/drawings of how various manufacturers' overflows and wastes actually fit is scarce/non existent :(

There are a number of standard overflows that are a single piece and the threaded spigot with the pipe fits through the hole from the back of the bath to the front and then the chrome piece screws onto that pulling it all together?? It would still need to be sealed at the front though

A lot do. As others have said, with a seal on the inside and the front grating part screwed to the bit poking through the bath then the water won't touch the wood.

There are a number of standard overflows that are a single piece and the threaded spigot with the pipe fits through the hole from the back of the bath to the front and then the chrome piece screws onto that pulling it all together?? It would still need to be sealed at the front though
That is a large hole though.

IMG_20220117_193403_edit_1655182373959937.jpg
I've got one, but the threaded part is not long enough due to the thickness of the tub. If I could find one like this with a ~10mm longer threaded part the issue would be solved

Last edited:
The part pictured is lacking the rubber sealing washer(s) and the spacing washers supplied by the manufacturers to accommodate the different possible thicknesses of the bath wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back