Bathroom cabinet switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for advice about how to wire a 'pull' switch into a bathroom cabinet. The cabinet is a brand new Kueco Royal T2, but imported from Germany, thus with different wiring. It has a rocker switch above two shaver outlets, which also controls the strip lights. I want a pull chord switch to control the lights and am not bothered about the shaver outlets even being powered. Here is the diagram supplied;

You can see the wiring diagrams for German and UK models at the top. I have got hold of the Kueco pull chord switch and my question is, if I just replace the rocker switch (i.e. take the two spade connectors off the swicth and put these onto my pull chord switch) will the little switch be able to handle this? Presumably it will then be controlling the outlets as well? As you can tell I am no spark and have very limited knowledge, but I have drilled the cabinet and fitted the pull chord switch, just wanted to know how it should be wired into the existing set-up.

Thanks.

PP

Sponsored Links
Hard to know without details of the current handling capability of the pull switch. Should be OK from an electrical connection point of view. Dont know if it breaks any UK safety rules unless we can see the connections.

If u wire it as shown the shaver points will always be connected (that's normal otherwise u couldnt charge yr toothbrush.

The switch is a Berker 22102, can't find any technical details on the web I am afraid.

In the diagrams the UK version appears to have a transformer for the shaver outlet, whereas the German version doesn't. Does this mean that the outlets would have 240V and if so is that ok in the UK?

PilotPete said:
In the diagrams the UK version appears to have a transformer for the shaver outlet, whereas the German version doesn't. Does this mean that the outlets would have 240V and if so is that ok in the UK?

In the UK the shaver socket in a bathroom MUST have a transformer to ISOLATE the 230 volt supply to reduce the chance of electric shock while using the shaver.

Sponsored Links
Why are you changing the switch?

I assume the unit complies with existing regulations.

Drilling holes will invalidate any warranty & may affect the integrity of the product.

Have you talked to the retailer about any concerns you have?

I'm more worried about there being no SLV transformer than changing the switch!

The existing switch is a rocker switch inside the cabinet on top of the two power outlets. As I am unhappy about having 230V at these outlets I have today had a friend who is a sparks come round and run through the set up with me. There are two lives into the cabinet, one is a permanent to feed the sockets, the other switchable for the lights.

He has advised not wiring up the permanent live to the sockets as I don't need them anyway and has changed the switch for a pull chord which is what I wanted for the lights.

I know it sounds strange to buy a cabinet and then start altering the thing, but the UK version retails at £1050, cheapest I have seen it for is £849 and my friends in Germany bought me a German version for 800Euros, with about £30 for DHL delivery. That is a considerable saving.

All mounted and wired up correctly this evening, thanks for your input. ;)

PP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back