pull chord removal

ejk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a similar post, but still need clear help for very novice. I have a bedroom (very old house) with wall light switch for ceiling light and further on a ceiling pull chord for same light. If wall switch on, pull chord can also be used to off/on, when wall switch off, pull chord does not apply. Want to remove / block-off / fully hide the pull chord and also replace the old two-wire hanging ceiling light.

Currently, Wall switch: Black to L2 and Red to COM, Cieling light mount two black, one to hanging light orange and other to hanging light black/grey. Pull Chord mount: 1 red and 1 black. Both Pull Chord and wall switch have a bare earth wire neither connected. How to block off red & black to Pull chord and to wire a new typical model ceiling light.

Sponsored Links
This made the memory dig deep! I remember similar when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. Then the practise was to get a length of 2-core flex (rubber/cotton insulated twisted together) with a "egg-switch" on the end of it. It was inserted at the ceiling rose, by disconnecting one cable to the lamp, and joining it to one of the cables to the switch. The return cable went to the connection which the lamp used to occupy. The cable was usually supported on cup hooks! It allows you to turn off the light after getting into bed, but - you had to remember the bed switch was off - otherwise you would wonder why the light was not working!

Seems the two switches are in series, unusual but I can see some logic.
What I can see is a lighting circuit fiddled with by yet another ***who didn't have clue how they work but decided that ignorance should not be a bar to having a go anyway.

Then the practise was to get a length of 2-core flex (rubber/cotton insulated twisted together) with a "egg-switch" on the end of it. It was inserted at the ceiling rose, by disconnecting one cable to the lamp, and joining it to one of the cables to the switch. The return cable went to the connection which the lamp used to occupy.
And the reason for not installing proper 2-way switching was what, exactly?

Sponsored Links
How about installing proper 2-way switching, and still being able to do that?

And remember, with proper 2 way switching, you can have a wall mounted switch if you prefer. You could even have a 2 or 3 gang wall switch at the bed, to control 2 or 5 amp sockets controlling bedside lights.

It sounds like your wiring may be old; is it PVC, or rubber or VIR or lead?

Ban-all-Sheds. You asked "why not install proper two-way switching?" The primary reason for that in the 1950s (and to a lesser extent the 1960s) was cost. In the mid/late 1950s £7-£8 per week was average take-home pay, and that had to feed, clothe and house a family. Thus the man of the house, or the bloke up the road did a cheap, but functioning job. It was never meant to be permanent, but very often became so! - Oh, and before you ask, yes, my beard is grey!

I am a novice. buy not thick and from a land other than UK where elec's perhaps not the same. Realize someone must have fiddled. Was just hopijg someone could help me DIY it right. As I thought that was what these formus were for. Nice to hear everyone's memories of days gone by, but was hoping for some helpful how-to and advice other than get a spark.

I am a novice. buy not thick
Nobody said you were.

Was just hopijg someone could help me DIY it right. As I thought that was what these formus were for. Nice to hear everyone's memories of days gone by, but was hoping for some helpful how-to and advice other than get a spark.
Your description of the cables present at the light and switches means that some of the circuit cables are elsewhere - you've probably got a junction box nearby.

You'll need to get up into the loft and have a look.

Once you've found the junction box it will be a simple job to remove the pull-cord switch and install your new light.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Do make sure you connect all of the earths, but...
very old house ... Both Pull Chord and wall switch have a bare earth wire neither connected ...
really you should not trust your life to the earths all being properly connected through the rest of the circuit back to the CU.

Before installing any metal switches or lights which need an earth you should get the wiring checked by an electrician.

And the reason for not installing proper 2-way switching was what, exactly?

Because I believe from what the older sparks have told me over the years is that this type of lighting circuit was only ever installed with a ceiling-mounted switch near the bed and that that generation of wiring accessories did not include a two-way pullcord switch & the pendant ("egg"-type) switches were 1-way only.

So you could only have operation as holmslaw describes.

[ that generation of wiring accessories did not include a two-way pullcord switch & the pendant ("egg"-type) switches were 1-way only.

My aunt and uncle's house in the 1950's had a two way egg. It was one of the first electrical mysteries as to how that worked. ( yes I am that old )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back